'The wizard, the goat, the man who won the war' - Llanystumdwy celebrates Lloyd George Day
Saturday 16 May 2009 is Lloyd George Day - to be celebrated with a special series of dramas and events in the great man's home village of Llanystumdwy.
The celebration is organised by Gwynedd Council, which runs the Lloyd George Museum in the North Wales village.
A major part of the celebration will be the performance of a play by writer and director David Britton for actor Richard Elfyn. It recalls the life and achievements of the former Prime Minister and is particularly appropriate for a performance in 2009 as it was 100 years ago this year that Lloyd George, as Chancellor of the Exchequer, delivered his famous People's Budget, designed to fund the social reforms of the Asquith government in areas like Old Age Pensions and social insurance.
Nest Thomas, Gwynedd Council's Museums and Galleries Officer, said they were delighted to be hosting the play as part of the wider Lloyd George's Day in Llanystumdwy. It promises to be a great day out for the family with activities to suit everyone.
A number of other events are held throughout the day, which include:
Lloyd George Museum 10.30am - 4pm (Free admission)
- 10.30-11.00 "The Life Story of David Lloyd George" 1918 DVD launch by the National Screen & SoundArchive of Wales. The long lost film which was mysteriously suppressed in 1918.
- 11.00-11.30 An opportunity for all the family to take part in a stern Victorian lesson and meet the strict headmaster!
- 11.45-12.30 "A walk through the village in search of Lloyd George" with Twm Morys from the museum to Tŷ Newydd.
- 11.00- 3.30 Trefor Owen 'clogmaker' - workshops and demonstrations at the shoemaker's workshop.
- 11.30-3.00 Do you know something about Lloyd George or Tŷ Newydd that we don't? Do you have memories or stories to share with us? Or artefacts, photographs and documents? Staff from Gwynedd Council's Archives and Museums Service will be at the Museum to meet you and to copy or receive items.
- 7.30 'The wizard, the goat, the man who won the war' a play-in-a-suitcase in progress by David Britton for Richard Elfyn. Lloyd George Museum. Tickets £4. Available from Tŷ Newydd and Lloyd George Museum.
- 1.30 A guided tour of Tŷ Newydd: Frances Voelcker, architect.
- 2.30 Performances of songs, stories and dance by pupils from CaeTop - Bangor, Llanystumdwy and Chwilog primary schools.
- 3.30 Afternoon Tea and games on the lawn.
Also 7.30pm on Friday, 15 May, "Coron Lloyd George" by Robert Morris. Welsh Lecture (with translation) on the pension. Lloyd George Museum. Arranged by the Friends of the Museum.